This month we’re looking at summer berries and fruits as part of the Year of Food and Drink. We asked John McWhirter, head chef in the castle, for a delicious berry recipe and he didn’t fail to deliver!
Scottish Raspberry & Drambuie Cranachan Cream (Serves 4)
30g pinhead oatmeal
1 ripe pear
20g heather honey
400ml double cream
40g Scottish raspberry jam
20g white chocolate shavings
1 sprig of mint
- Toast the oatmeal in a dry non-stick pan. When ready, it’ll smell rich & nutty. Be careful not to burn.
- Lightly fold the raspberries and Drambuie into the raspberry jam.
- Peel and core the pear, discarding the peelings and core, then grate the rest of pear into the honey.
- Crush the shortbread using a robot coupe, or alternatively, put into a tea towel and batter with a rolling pin.
- Lightly whip the cream, add in the toasted oatmeal, pear and honey. Carry on whipping and when it holds soft peaks, it is ready.
- Use 4 dessert rings or glasses to serve. Place the shortbread crumbs in first, then use half the cream mix between the 4 servings. Split the raspberry mix between the 4 servings, making sure to save a few of the raspberries for the garnish. Now top with the rest of the cream mix then the white chocolate shavings and gently press. Top with a sprig of mint.
Sounds like just the thing for those summer evenings! Share your pictures with us on Facebook or Twitter and use #HSEat.